Do I Qualify for Medicaid in Delaware?
By: Paul Lorrah
Click Image Above
Fortunately Delaware has a Medicaid program that can be an option for paying for nursing home care for both married couples, and singles.
The Delaware Medicaid program is complex and an arduous journey at best. There are 2 steps to qualification, financial and medical.
Medical Test: The first of two steps in the application process is to determine medical eligibility. The level of care that an individual needs is determined by a Pre-Admission Screening (PAS)... After the application is submitted the PAS will be completed and the level of care that the applicant requires will be determined such as super skilled, skilled or intermediate care.
The second test is a financial test. In Delaware's Medicaid program it is comprised of both assets and income.
1. Assets:When determining an applicant's assets the Medicaid program in Delaware will divide the assets an applicant owns into 2 categories:
- excluded assets; and
- countable assets. Medicaid will limit the amount of countable assets a person applying for Medicaid can keep and qualify for benefits.
A single person can only a small set amount of countable assets which generally will be in the form of cash.
In the Delaware Medicaid program income is also a determining factor in the asset test. If an applicant has income over $1,854 they must have what is called a Qualified Income Trust [or also referred to as a "Miller" Trust]. Placing the income over that amount in the trust each month will allow them to still qualify for Delaware Medicaid benefits.
If the applicant is married, they can transfer either a portion of or their entire income to their spouse if the spouse earns less than they do and not enough to support themselves in the home environment.
Many myths float around regarding the Medicaid program in Delaware
- I have to "spend down" all of my money before I can qualify
- Medicaid will take my house;
- Medicaid will take my life insurance;
- Medicaid will take all of my spouses income;
- Delaware Medicaid is only for poor people;
- and many more...
Call us today for peace of mind knowing that Medicaid Plus will help ensure your Medicaid approval. Applying for Medicaid without knowing all of the guidelines is an avoidable mistake.